Board Certification by The Florida Bar – Lawyers Evaluated and Tested for Excellence in Professionalism and Expertise
Sessums Law Group, P.A. is proud that Mark Sessums and Josh Schoen have earned and maintained their board certification from The Florida Bar. Board certification recognizes that these lawyers have distinguished themselves as experts in their practice areas of law. Mark Sessums is double board certified in Family and Marital law and Civil Trial law. Josh Schoen is board certified in Criminal law. The Florida Bar recognizes attorneys’ proficiency, special knowledge and skills as well as their professionalism and ethics in their practice of law.
In the state of Florida, 7% of eligible Florida Bar members are board certified. This high-level certification includes only about 5,000 lawyers across the entire state. The minimum requirements for certification as published by The Florida Bar are:
- The lawyer must have practiced law for a minimum of 5 years.
- The lawyer must demonstrate substantial involvement in the field of law for which certification is sought.
- They must pass satisfactory peer review of competence in the specialty field, as well as character, ethics, and professionalism in the practice of law.
- The lawyer must satisfy the certification area’s continuing legal education requirements.
- They must receive a passing grade on the examination require of all applicants or meet strict criteria to exempt the exam.
Board certification was established in 1982 by the Florida Supreme Court as a way to recognize attorneys with proficiency in certain areas of law. Just as some doctors choose to specialize in a certain field to become experts, attorneys may voluntarily choose to become certified in a specific type or multiple types of law. There are 27 different certification fields and certification in any one involves the highest level of evaluation. The diligent review includes ethics, competency, knowledge, experience, and more.
Board certified lawyers are experienced, tested for expertise and conduct their practice of law in the most professional manner. We are proud of Mark and Josh and you can learn more about the value of having a board certified lawyer partner with you on your case from the following video from the Florida Bar.