Tampa Personal Injury Attorneys Seek Compensation for Accident Victims
Capable Lawyers Manage Cases Arising from Negligent Harm in Florida
Whether you have been hurt driving on a major highway such as I-275 or slipping on a wet floor while shopping, we understand how to construct the strongest possible case on your behalf. Sessums Law Group, P.A. in Tampa and Sarasota is a proven leader in obtaining justice for injured victims. Attorney Mark Sessums is a Board Certified by the Florida Bar Civil Trial attorney and heads a team of dedicated personal injury advocates. Many lawyers in the Tampa and Sarasota area look for the quickest, easiest way to end a case and move on, but we’re different. Our attorneys understand the true value of the harm you’ve suffered and work hard to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Our Tampa and Sarasota lawyers are accomplished advocates who are committed to obtaining payment for medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other available damages. We strive to maximize your compensation through trial or via settlement in cases involving:
- Auto accidents — Our firm provides comprehensive representation for people who have been injured in auto accidents. Whether you require help dealing with your insurance carrier or seek compensation from an at-fault driver after suffering a permanent injury, we assert your rights to a full financial recovery. We also handle other types of accident cases, such as motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, swimming pool accidents, bicycle injuries and construction accidents.
- Slip and fall accidents — If you have been hurt in a fall on someone’s property because they failed to maintain safe premises, we will litigate to hold the liable party accountable. Even if you bear some fault for the incident, you can collect damages under Florida law.
- Medical malpractice — Patients who have been harmed by the negligence of a doctor or another medical professional need an attorney who can conduct a thorough investigation. We have decades of experience identifying errors and using this information to win compensation for medical malpractice victims at trial or through a settlement.
With more than 72 years of combined legal experience, our lawyers have the knowledge to prepare the strongest possible claim for any type of injury you might have suffered.
Getting the Maximum Possible Recovery for Your Serious Injuries
If you sustain an injury due to someone’s careless or deliberate act, you are entitled to compensation for your economic and noneconomic losses, which can include:
- Medical bills, present and future
- Lost earnings, present and future
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
No matter the extent of your injuries, you deserve full compensation. And, the more severe your injuries, the more likely you are to depend on the sums you recover. You need a lawyer with proven ability to recover the full measure of damages. Sessums Law Group is prepared to fight aggressively for appropriate compensation for any injury, from the relatively mild to the catastrophic, including:
- Badly broken bones
- Birth injuries
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including partial or complete paralysis
- Emotional and psychological harm
- Head injuries, concussions and traumatic brain injury
- Herniated discs and compressed vertebrae
- Joint injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Medical problems caused by dangerous drugs
- Wrongful death
We consult experts in medicine, physical therapy, psychology and economics to support your claim for damages, as we fight to obtain the full measure of compensation you deserve.
Tampa and Sarasota Law Firm Seeks Justice for Families of Wrongful Death Victims
The death of a loved one due to another’s carelessness or recklessness creates a tremendous loss for the family members who are left behind. Our firm litigates wrongful death actions under Florida law to recover costs such as funeral expenses and wages that would have been earned over the decedent’s lifetime. In our work on behalf of estate representatives and surviving family members, we pursue a resolution that reflects the full measure of the loss.
Do I Have an Injury Case? Ask a Florida Bar board-certified Litigation Attorney in Tampa to Evaluate Your Personal Injury Claim
If you have been hurt in an auto accident, or in any type of event you can trace back to another person’s careless, reckless or deliberate behavior, Sessums Law Group may be able to recover compensation for you.
Led by Florida Bar board-certified civil litigation attorney Mark A. Sessums, our legal team has more than 72 years of experience, during which we’ve helped numerous clients recover damages through negotiated settlements and trial verdicts. Since we accept injury cases on a contingency basis, you pay no upfront legal fees, so you can consult with us and receive a preliminary evaluation of your case absolutely free. The information on this page is meant to give you an introduction to personal injury law, so you can have a basic understanding of your rights.
Proving Your Personal Injury Case in Tampa
A personal injury or wrongful death case requires an injured party to prove four elements:
- Duty — In general, all people have a duty to behave carefully so as not to injure anyone else through their carelessness. This general duty applies in such cases as auto accidents, where a driver has a duty to obey traffic laws and proceed with caution, avoiding dangerous maneuvers. Other types of cases, such as medical malpractice, involve a higher type of duty, i.e. to render services that measure up to a professional standard.
- Breach — This means that a person violated his or her duty through an act or omission. In most cases, the breach comes from a negligent, i.e. careless, act or omission, but a person can also violate the duty of care by reckless behavior (i.e. extreme carelessness) or by a deliberate unlawful act.
- Causation — A breach is immaterial if it does not cause an injury event. For example, a driver can read a text message while driving, which is a negligent act, but if the accident occurs because the driver’s brakes fail, the negligent act did not cause the accident. An injured plaintiff must prove the negligent act or omission led directly to the injury event.
- Damages — Likewise, a plaintiff can only obtain compensation for losses that directly result from the event in question. These losses can be economic, as in medical bills and lost wages, and noneconomic, such as pain and suffering.
When duty, breach, and causation are proved, liability (or responsibility for the harm) has been determined. The defendant owes something to the plaintiff. The only question is “How much?” Sessums Law Group builds a case with meticulous attention to proving each of these vital elements, so you can get the greatest value for your case.
Calculating Damages for Your Tampa Personal Injury Case
Damages are the losses a plaintiff suffers in a personal injury event. There are two basic categories of damages:
- Economic — Also called special damages, this category covers medical bills, lost earnings due to incapacity, and future expenses related to the plaintiff’s injuries. Defendants often question whether medical expenses were reasonable and even related to the injury, but the greatest controversy comes from attempting to estimate future medical expenses, especially when the plaintiff’s prognosis for recovery is uncertain. We consult medical, rehabilitative, and financial experts to make a strong case for your complete economic recovery.
- Noneconomic — Also called general damages, this category covers real but intangible losses, such as the victim’s physical pain and mental suffering, the loss of quality of life, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of consortium. These losses are very difficult to set a value on, and it takes extensive experience to know what amount would constitute a fair award.
A personal injury attorney’s the job is to maximize the damages for the client, but your attorney must also have a reasonable basis for demanding a specific amount. You can rely on Sessums Law Group for your vehicle accident, medical malpractice, or product defect case, because we have the knowledge and experience necessary to deliver positive results.
When a serious injury disrupts your life, you can trust Sessums Law Group, P.A. in Tampa and Sarasota to set matters right. For high-quality legal representation for your personal injury case, call (813) 212-8330 or contact us online to schedule an appointment. We also have locations in Lakeland and Sebring.
There has never been a day, were he hasn’t responded to an email or text by the end of the day (usually within an hour). His grasp of the law and legal system is unbelievable, he remembers details of my case like no other.- Chris L.
They care deeply about making sure that they understand the needs of their clients and then do everything they can to achieve those goals. I can’t recommend Mark and his team highly enough.- Sean D.
Highly recommended for strong written and oral communication, in-depth knowledge of the law, and a practical, no-nonsense approach. If divorce is pending, this is the team you want.- Kristan H.
I came to Mark Sessums when I realized it had become necessary to replace my previous attorney. I found myself in a totally different atmosphere…one of genuine compassion, utmost respect, and legal brilliance.- Beverly L.
I had a very difficult and toxic divorce case and Mark and his team handled everything FAST and Professional.- Jason D.
Best lawyers available, Alamo amber is amazing!- TJ D.
Mark came highly recommended. He is very polite, respectful and proficient. I felt very confident he was always looking out for my best interest. Mark took care of an issue who was annoying and aggravating and brought it to an end.- Carolynne A.
I truly felt as if she cared just as much as I did about my case and my family. After having a lawyer like her advocate and fight for me the way she did I wouldn't want anyone else.- Brandy R.