About Mark A. Sessums
Mark A. Sessums formed the firm now known as Sessums Law Group, P.A., in April, 2008. The firm has three (3) lawyers and represents litigants in all types of civil matters in all courts throughout the State of Florida and in other jurisdictions. Mr. Sessums has been Board Certified in Marital and Family Law since 1997, and has been Board Certified in Civil Trial Law since 2010, and was Board Certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in 2015. No other lawyers in the State of Florida are known to have these three (3) Board Certifications.
Mr. Sessums is recognized for excellence in Best Lawyers in America. Mark has been nominated each year as a “Super Lawyer” since the inception of the rating service in 2006. Mr. Sessums’ rating through AVVO.com is ten out of ten. Mark Sessums is an Eagle in the American Justice Association. Mark A. Sessums gained admittance to Litigation Counsel of America, a prestigious trial lawyer’s organization.
Mark was born and raised in Tampa, FL and is a 5th generation Floridian.
- “What are Wife’s Contributions Worth Upon Divorce: Toward Fully Incorporating Partnership into Equitable Distribution,” Florida Law Review, Vol. 41, No. 5, Fall 1989
- “Family Law Fees – The High Point and the Current State of the Law,” LXXIII, No. 4, Florida Bar Journal, April 1999
- “Halfway Houses and Mental Health Treatment Facilities – Establishing Duty In Tort,” LXXVII, No. 6, Florida Bar Journal, June 2003
Chairman, Amicus Curiae Committee, 2002 – 2003. Co-Chair, Legislation, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2005 – 2008.
Admitted in 1989, Florida and U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
Law school attended
University of Florida, Class of 1989, J.D., with honors
University of Florida, B.A., 1983, Phi Kappa Phi
Associations & memberships
- American Association For Justice; Eagle Member
- AAML Florida Chapter: Vice President (2018- ); Treasurer (2017-2018); Secretary (2016-17); Board of Managers (2014-present); Institute Committee (2014-present; Chair, 2017); Co-Chair, Legislation Committee (2005-08); Co-Chair, Membership Committee (2006-11); Amicus Committee Chair, 2006.
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (Fellow; Chairman, Amicus Curiae Committee, 2002 – 2003; Co-Chair, Legislation, 2005 – 2008) Joint Committee of Florida American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and the Florida Bar Family Law Section to study statutory alimony reform, 2013
- Hillsborough County Bar Association President-Elect Young Lawyers Section (1994-95); Chair & Various Committees (1990-95)
- Sarasota County Bar Association (2016 – Present)
- 10th Judicial Circuit (Grievance Committee, 1999 – 2000, Chair, 2000 – 2001)
- The Florida Bar (Member): Civil Procedure Rules Committee, 1990 – 1993; The Florida Bar, Family Law Section: Executive Council (2004-11); Secretary of Legislation Committee (2005-06); Co-Vice Chair of Legislation Committee (2006-11); Family Law Rules Committee (1994-98); Vice-Chair of Family Law Rules Committee (1996-97).
- Polk County Trial Lawyers Association
- Polk County Family Lawyers Association (Member, 2004 – present President, 2002 – 2003)
- Public Service Law Fellow
- Board Certified Civil Trial Law and Marital and Family Law Lawyer
- Florida Bar Board Of Legal Specialization And Education
American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers; Center for Governmental Responsibility; Public Service Law.